Local Rule AT-1 identifies the requirements for admission to practice in the Eastern District of Texas. The procedures below explain the process for becoming admitted to the bar of this court. If you seek permission to appear for one case only, please see the Pro Hac Vice Appearance instructions.
Requirements to Apply to Become a Member of the Bar of the Eastern District of Texas
Compliance with the instructions below is required; if you have any questions, please call (903) 590-1007:
- Complete the Application for Admission to Practice, ensuring you fill out the section at the top and answer all four numbered questions.
- Complete the Oath of Admission page before a notary public.
- Have the Motion for Admission page completed by a sponsoring attorney who is a member in good standing of the State Bar of Texas or any United States District Court.
- When you can accommodate the schedule described in the second bullet below, submit the complete packet at PACER.gov –>Log into Manage My Account –> Maintenance –> Attorney Admissions/E-File Registration –> Court Type: U.S. District Courts/Court: Texas Eastern District Court –> Attorney Admissions and E-File.
· If you already have e-filing access in this court due to a prior pro hac vice appearance, the Attorney Admissions and E-File option referenced above will not be available until we adjust your account in our CM/ECF database. To request this adjustment, call (903) 590-1007.
· Unless you are eligible for a waiver of the statutory Attorney Admission Fee under LR AT-1(e), please time the submission of your application to ensure you are available during the 2 – 3 business days after submission to receive email notification of the court’s decision on your application. If approved, the email will contain a link to pay the fee using the payment method set up in your individual PACER account. This fee should be paid within one business day of the clerk’s approval. Once payment is received, we will email your Certificate of Admission to Practice to you.