Skip to main content


Eastern District of Texas

Honorable Rodney Gilstrap, Chief Judge
David A. O'Toole, Clerk of Court

  • May I sign a document even though I am not admitted to the Eastern District?

    If you sign a document and have not been admitted or granted leave to appear pro hac vice, the judge could unfile your document. Be prepared to apply for admission to the bar or pro hac vice contemporaneously with your first filing and to comply with all other local rules.

  • How do I become admitted?

    Admission instructions are available here.

  • If I have just passed the state bar and have paid my dues and taxes but have not received my bar card, can I be admitted to practice in the Eastern District?

    No, the state of Texas does not consider you a licensed attorney until you receive your bar number. As soon as you receive your card, you may apply for admittance.

  • Do I need to complete the questions regarding offenses or grievances on the Application for Admission if the offense or grievance occurred many years ago?


  • What is the fee for admission?

    A list of fees set by the Judicial Conference of the United States is available here.

  • How long does it take to be admitted to the Eastern District?

    The time it takes to be admitted is typically 5 business days.

  • How do I seek admission pro hac vice?

    Instructions are available in Local Rule AT-1 Admission to Practice

  • What information do you provide on practicing in the Eastern District?

    The following publications are available to assist you: Local Rules and the Federal Rules. There are also some helpful instructions on the Filing Information page of our website.

  • How do I get a certificate of good standing?

    Instructions are available here.

  • How do I update my name or address?

    Please see the information here.