Skip to main content


Eastern District of Texas

Honorable Rodney Gilstrap, Chief Judge
David A. O'Toole, Clerk of Court

  • What is the interest rate on a judgment filed on a particular date?

    Please see the Post Judgment Interest Rates section.

  • May I obtain surety in lieu of paying a bond?

    Local Rule CV-62

    (a) Supersedeas Bond. Unless otherwise ordered by the presiding judge, a supersedeas bond staying execution of a money judgment shall be in the amount of the judgment, plus 20% of that amount to cover interest and any award of damages for delay, plus $250.00 to cover costs. The parties may waive the requirement of a supersedeas bond by stipulation.

    The bond shall:

    (1) confirm that the insurance company is on the Treasury Department's list of certified bond companies, unless the Court orders otherwise (a link to this list may be found on the court's website); and

    (2) confirm the underwriting limitation.

    (b) Power of Attorney. If the insurance company is not incorporated and licensed in the State of Texas, a power of attorney must be filed. It is the responsibility of the filing attorney to confirm that the information on the power of attorney and bond is correct. The agent for the power of attorney shall reside in the Eastern District of Texas, unless the Court orders otherwise.

    (c) Electronic Filing Requirement for Bonds. When a bond is posted for any reason, it must be electronically filed in the case by the posting party. The paper original of the bond shall be retained by the posting party unless otherwise directed by the court.

  • What is the balance on restitution, fines, Mandatory Special Assessment or investments?

    Contact the financial department  for the Eastern District of Texas at (903) 590-1045.

  • To whom do we make our checks payable?

    Checks are to be made payable to Clerk, U.S. District Court. However, cashiers checks are required for payment of criminal bonds.

  • At what amount is a bond set?

    The amount of the bond is set at the discretion of the judge and found on the appearance bond.

  • What type of payment do you accept?

    Effective February 1, 2016, the Clerk's Office will no longer accept cash as a form of payment at any office within the Eastern District of Texas.
    Accepted forms of payment are checks, money orders, credit, and debit cards.
    Note: Payments will no longer be accepted over the phone effective 10/30/2019.

  • What is the maximum limit for credit and debit card transactions

    Credit and Debit Card Transaction Limitations

    If you would like to pay your federal debt or obligation with a credit or debit card, please be advised the court is limited to a maximum amount as established by the Bureau of Fiscal Service. Criminal debt may only be paid with a debit card, money order, or cashier check. Debit card payments must be made in person.

    Effective October 30, 2019 ~

    • Individual payment transactions using a debit or credit card must not exceed $24,999.99;
    • A debit and/or credit card payment may not be split to exceed the maximum transaction limit;
    • Multiple debit and/or credit cards may not be used to split an amount owed into two or more payments to exceed the maximum limit;
    • Multiple transactions over multiple days may not be made to avoid exceeding the maximum allowable limit.


    If you have a payment in excess of $24,999.99, please obtain a bank check or money order for your payment.